Applications Open for the 2019 MQA Bursary Scheme Intake
The Mining Qualifications Authority (MQA) is a Sector Education and Training Authority (SETA) for the mining and minerals sector in terms of the Skills Development Act No. 97 of 1998.
The MQA would like to invite learners excelling in maths and science, who will be studying towards a career in the mining and minerals sector, to apply for a MQA bursary. The MQA Bursary Scheme is open to qualifying grade 12 learners or those currently writing their 2018 grade 12 examinations, and students who are studying towards a certificate, diploma, degree at a university or university of technology. The MQA also support students at Technical Vocational, Education and Training (TVET) colleges. Below is the list of disciplines which the MQA Bursary Scheme supports:
1. The MQA Bursary Scheme only funds the following qualifications at universities and universities of technology
- Mining Engineering,
- Mining Survey, and
Note: The bursary is not available to students who are pursuing post-graduation
2. The MQA Bursary Scheme only funds the following qualifications at TVET colleges:
- Diesel Mechanic,
- Fitter and Turner / Machinery, and
NB: Preference will be given to:
- Female applicants,
- Applicants with disabilities,
- Learners living in rural communities,
- Applicants (matriculants) with high marks in maths and science (with a pass mark of 75% and above),
- Applicants (students already studying at tertiary institutions) who have passed all their registered modules with high merit academic performance (having passed all subjects with a pass mark of 75% and above), and
- Applicants who have applied to study at their local tertiary institutions.
The application period for the 2019 intake will open from 05 September 2018 and close on 05 October 2018. Please note that only shorlisted applicants will be contacted and requested to submit their final matric results on or by 14 January 2019 to the MQA through the dedicated e-mail address.
The MQA existing bursars must also apply for continuation of funding and results for existing bursars should also be submitted by the 14 January 2019. Failure of existing bursars to apply for continuation of funding for the 2019 academic year by the set date will result in the bursar not being eligible for funding.
Note: The applicant must ensure that they download and complete the correct application form. In the event that an applicant completes the incorrect application form, such an application will not be considered.
Correspondence will only be entered into with the successful applicants. If you have not received further correspondence from the MQA by December 2018, please consider your application as being unsuccessful. Late, e-mailed or faxed applications will not be considered.
Please note that only 150 bursary opportunities are available for the 2019 academic year.
Applications can also be requested from, and submitted to, the following MQA offices:
- Gauteng: 7 Anerley Road, Parktown, tel: 011 547 2600
- Eastern Cape: King Sabatha Dalindyebo TVET College, R61 Queenstown Road, Cirica Village, Mthatha, tel: 087 095 0497
- Free State: Goldfields TVET College, 14107 Ndaki Road, Tosa Campus, Thabong, tel: 087 095 0266
- Limpopo: Sekhukhune TVET College, CN Phathudi Campus, Stand No. 2659, Praktiseer, tel: 087 095 0267
- Mpumalanga: Nkangala TVET College, Mpondozamkomo Campus, 1 Moses Kotane Drive, Ferrobank, tel: 013 696 8120 / 2121
- North West: Orbit TVET College, Mankwe Campus, Stand 230, Unit 2, Mogwase, tel: 014 555 8860
- Northern Cape: Northern Cape Rural TVET College, Kathu Campus, Hans Coetzee Drive, Kathu, tel: 053 723 0100